HISTORY OF RUNGSTEDLUND
The oldest surviving part of Rungstedlund dates from around 1680, at which time it was an inn with a farm attached. Many famous figures from Danish history lodged at Rungsted Inn over the years – among others, the writers Ludvig Holberg and Johannes Ewald. Ewald was sent to live there from 1773 until 1775 – to be looked after, as he was suffering from the effects of arthritis and intemperate drinking. It was here that he wrote many of his poems, including “Rungsted’s Lyksaligheder” (“The Joys of Rungsted”). His stay at the inn also inspired him to write the singspiel Fiskerne (The Fishermen), which contains the Danish royal anthem, “Kong Christian stod ved højen mast” (“King Christian Stood by the Lofty Mast”).
A LARGE FARMSTEAD
Rungsted Inn closed in 1803 and thereafter the property was used exclusively for agricultural purposes. One of the subsequent owners, Aron David, merged the farm with the neighbouring properties of Rungstedgaard (Rungsted Farm), Sømandshvile (Sailor’s Rest) and Folehavegaard (Foal Paddock Farm). In 1879, Karen Blixen’s father, Wilhelm Dinesen, bought the four properties. Following his marriage in 1881 to Ingeborg Westenholz, the couple moved into Rungstedlund. At the time the house had two other buildings attached, the south and east wings, but they burned down in 1898, three years after Wilhelm Dinesen’s death, and were never rebuilt.